What is Paratransit Service?
Paratransit Service is a shared ride public transportation system, enabling routes and schedules to be structured to transport multiple passengers to their destinations.
The Longview Transit mobility impaired service offers curb-to-curb transportation anywhere within the City of Longview. Qualified individuals can ride on all days the regular bus service operates within Longview.
Trained drivers are available to assist passengers in boarding and exiting the minibuses used in the service. Following our guidelines, your trip can be pleasant, relaxing and trouble-free.
It is the policy of the City of Longview to provide a demand-response transportation service to eligible passengers (based upon criteria established by the Americans with Disabilities Act) who are unable to utilize the regular Longview Transit Fixed Route services. All operators are trained to provide minimal assistance. Operators are not trained to provide medical assistance.
Type of assistance includes:
- The operator will come to the curb of a residence or predetermined pick up location as negotiated with Longview Transit dispatch at time of scheduling.
- The operator will sound horn to attempt to notify passengers of arrival.
- The operator will assist passengers in boarding and exiting paratransit vehicle, assist up a particularly steep ramp in a manual wheelchair, and treat individuals with disabilities with regard to sensitivity.
Type of assistance DOES NOT include:
- Assistance getting in or out of wheelchair.
- Assistance in getting ready for the trip.
- Administering medication or oxygen.
- Assistance with excessive items (i.e., packages, boxes, etc.).
- Providing personal care for individuals who cannot be left unattended.
Longview Transit's Demand Response Service hours (excluding holidays) are:
- Monday-Friday | 6:15 AM - 7:15 PM
- Saturdays | 7:15 AM - 7:15 PM
- Sundays | No Service
Service is provided Monday through Saturday throughout the year, except for the following observed holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
You may schedule your trip by calling the scheduling center 24 hours in advance at 903-753-2287 ext. 10 or TTY 903-753-5265. Currently there is no Sunday service.
Service is only provided inside the service area as defined by the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The area is defined as an area within 3/4 of a mile on either side of a fixed route service, or up to an additional 3/4 mile to the nearest landmark.
Certification of Eligibility
Longview Transit utilizes the certification criteria as established in the ADA, as listed below:
- Any individual with a disability who is unable to independently board, ride, or disembark from any vehicle on the fixed route system that is accessible to such persons.
- Any individual with a disability who is able to independently board, ride, or disembark from any vehicle on the fixed route system which is accessible to such persons, except when such a vehicle is not available on the needed route(s).
- Any individual with a disability whose impairment-related condition prevents him/her from traveling to a boarding location or from a disembarking location on the fixed route.
To print out an ADA (Paratransit) application, click here. You may also pick one up at our Transit offices at 908 Pacific Ave, Suite 200, or have one mailed to you by calling 903-753-2287, ext. 10. Longview Transit offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. Individuals with hearing impairments may reach us through the Longview Transit Relay Service at 903-753-5265 (TTY).
The application for Paratransit Eligibility must be completed by the applicant, a representative or a legal guardian familiar with the applicant's disability and his/her ability to travel on a bus. A licensed health care provider familiar with the applicant's condition must complete the attached physician form.
Determination of Eligibility
The application must be legible and properly completed. Also the applicant must sign that the information given is correct as well as sign a release of information form included in the application.
After the application is received, Longview Transit will process it within twenty-one (21) days. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case study. Incomplete documents will be returned to the applicant for completion.
The customer will be notified by letter about his/her eligibility. If approved for service, the customer will be instructed as to how to obtain an ADA Identification card. Transportation to and from the Transit office for ID purposes will be provided to the customer free of charge.
If you do not agree with Longview Transit' decision, you have the right to an appeal. Appeals should be filed, in writing, within sixty (60) days of your receipt of a denial letter. Mail your letter of appeal to the Longview Transit office. You will be notified of the time and location of an appeal hearing to be conducted by Longview Transit's General Manager within thirty (30) days.
Renewal of Certification
Longview Transit ADA eligible passengers are responsible for requesting recertification at least 60 days prior to expiration of current certification.
How to Schedule a Trip
Requests for service can be made during the normal business hours on the day before service is needed, but additional notice is appreciated. Trips can be scheduled up to fourteen (14) days in advance.
The scheduler is also available at 903-753-2287 ext 10 or 903-753-5265 (TTY) 6 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 8 am to 5 pm on Saturday.
Same day call-ins, including unscheduled requests for return trips, will not be accepted. You must have a scheduled pick-up time to be picked up or returned home. However, a client may call to request an earlier return pick-up time before their scheduled trip. Although Longview Transit cannot assure any specific pick-up time, the client shall be held financially responsible for work-in trips missed just as they would be for any other late cancellation unless they notify the scheduler prior the bus arrival.
All trips must be scheduled to assure pick-up time either 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the scheduled pick-up time. There will not be a charge for a trip if the bus arrives later than 15 minutes after the scheduled pick-up time and the client has not been notified by Longview Transit the bus will be late. If possible, Longview Transit will try to notify all passengers that the bus will be late. This will allow time to make other arrangements if the bus is unavoidable detained. If Longview Transit does not have a telephone number on record or if the number has been changed, we will not be able to notify you if the bus is running late or waiting; therefore, please make sure that we have a current telephone number and address on file.
Passengers may request any pick-up time within our service hours; however, if the requested time is not available, the scheduler may offer an alternative pick-up time within one (1) hour of the requested time.
If you prefer, you may schedule rides based on a drop-off time instead of a pick-up time. Drop-off time is the specific times a passenger needs arrive at their designated location for a scheduled appointment; therefore, these times are reserved for specific trips such as for group homes or medical appointments.
The bus may arrive at a drop-off location anywhere between fifteen (15) minutes before and five (5) minutes after a scheduled drop-off time. Scheduled pick-up and drop-off times should be carefully selected in order to allow ample travel time to arrive at a destination. Passengers may remain onboard a Longview Transit bus for up to one (1) hour.
Back-to-back trips must be scheduled at least thirty (30) minutes apart to ensure that a client does not miss the pick-up time if scheduled on another bus.
Passengers traveling to or from buildings with multiple entrances must specify a designated location for pick-up and drop-off when scheduling the trip.
The DRS van requires an obstruction-free approach and sufficient turn-around area for its vehicles. Under some conditions, our policy of curb-to-curb service will not be available to passengers. Alternate pick-up and drop-off locations may be established because of obstructed driveways, turnarounds, or other safety concerns.
Clients may utilize subscription bookings for recurring weekly appointments. However, due to ADA restrictions, only 50% of Paratransit clients qualify for these bookings; as a result, subscription bookings will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. If a subscription is altered for any reason, bookings must be made on a weekly basis and the client will be moved to the bottom of the subscription waiting list.
Fare for the Paratransit Service has been established by the Longview Public Transit Advisory Board, with approval of the City of Longview City Council.
The current fare is as follows:
- $2.50 per one-way trip
Paratransit passengers shall pay the operator for each trip prior to the vehicle's departure. Please have correct fare or ticket as operators will not be able to make change. DRS tickets may be purchased at the Transit offices. They are $2.50 each. The operators cannot accept checks.
(PCA) Personal Care Attendant/Aide
An aide is a medical or social services attendant required to travel with a passenger. Aides ride for free provided the need for them is indicated on the certification form. Aides must be picked up and dropped off at the same address as the client and need to be placed on the schedule when the trip is requested.
A companion is anyone traveling with a client. Companions may accompany you on your trip, but will be charged the same fares as the client. Companions must be picked up and dropped off at the same address as the client. Clients must inform dispatch when a companion will be riding at the time the trip is requested. An aide does not count as a companion; therefore, additional companions may accompany you if space on the bus permits.
Failing to properly cancel a scheduled trip causes an inconvenience to other riders. Longview Transit has the following Late Cancellation/No Show Policy:
- No Show-Customer is not at the scheduled pick-up location at the established ready time and fails to board the bus.
- Late Cancellation-Customer cancels a scheduled trip less than one (1) hour of the established ready time.
- Cancel at the Door-Customer chooses not to ride the bus after it arrives at the scheduled pick-up location.
A customer is allowed two (2) of the above in a month's time, after which, sanctions will be imposed.
- You may begin using the Paratransit bus services as soon as you receive your approval.
- If you are running late at the doctor's office, you must notify us that you will not make your pick-up time and will call when you are ready. Longview Transit will send a ride as soon as possible. The missed ride will not result in a no-show.
- If you call to cancel your trip and get the answering machine, the time you leave your message will be considered the time you cancelled your trip.
- Subscription service is available when you need to travel at the same time and day each week, but you must remember to call and cancel if you will not need the ride to avoid a no-show.
- Longview Transit Paratransit service is public transportation and you may have to share rides; therefore, you may not be taken directly to and from your destination.
- When scheduling a trip, you must specify which entrance you will be using if your destination has many entrances.